Thursday, May 8, 2014

Words in Pictures



Recently, we were to attend a Graduation at the University of GA for my Niece. I was speaking with my Nephew he and he told me, “I am pretty sure it will be crowded, so I will meet you inside the Auditorium.” He went on to say, “If it’s not crowded I will meet outside near the front door, in front of the steps.”

Let’s stop right there. In the previous text, how did you dissimulate that information?

Did you just understand those instructions? Or, did you see the whole picture?

No, it is not a trick question, and it was a topic of discussion with my wife and I.

Let me explain, while researching Dyslexia I ran across this post http://www.happydyslexic.com/node/9. The post/article under the heading “Dyslexics think in pictures instead of words” hit me like a ton of bricks. I had read this many times but it was not until I was reading this in conjunction with the phone call did I understand what I was seeing and what I was hearing.

As he was telling me that he would be inside if it was crowded, I saw him, I saw the auditorium, I saw carpet, walls, hallways and crowds of faceless people milling about. I actually saw it, I did not just leave it with the words.

In the next breath he stated that he may be outside next to the steps. Well, again I saw the whole picture…him standing there in a jacket hands in pockets, the building, glass, trees, steps, concrete…everything.

I exclaimed “That’s it!”

I turned to my wife and told her the same thing that our Nephew had just told me. I asked her if she saw anything or did she just understand the words/instructions? Answer: She just understood and did not need to draw a picture or go into detail.

What amazed me is that I saw the colorized version in remarkable detail in seconds, and if given a few more seconds I would have drawn in more details.

My wife asked me why would I do that, I responded, “Heck, I thought everyone did that.”

The next question that followed was, “If you never have been there how do you know what it looks like?” Answer: I don’t, but that does not make any less real or change my thought process. I draw the image as I think it will be. It does not matter what it actually is, and when I do see it in person, there are usually enough similarities there. So, in essence it does not matter to me. I know that sounds strange, but that is how it is.

To confirm it was not a fluke, I tried a similar scenario with a colleague at work. The results were the same.

So, what can I draw from this and what can you take away? It is that while you are talking to me or someone else with Dyslexia, it may take a few more seconds for us to grasp than you, but understand that we are creating the word, instructions, phrase or story in Pictures or Hollywood Movies as you tell it. We see the pictures; we do not follow the word.

What are your thoughts? 

0 comments:

Contact Me


If you are interested in contributing to this blog, have comments or questions email me: andergraph@gmail.com


Translate