Friday, May 9, 2014

What did you say?




I had planned on telling you how about how someone had switched phones on me at work, but I will save that for another day. Tonight I want to relate a conversation I had tonight. Well, not the literal conversation but what I observed during it.



My wife had an interesting day at a great meeting, she was telling me about the speakers that gave speeches during it and some of the topics that were mentioned. The story she had to tell me, I got. I was attentive, got the imagery, felt the story…and it was a good one.



After the story she went on to describe some of the other things that she felt was interesting. On 1 instance I found that I finished the story for her; it was not right or even close to what happened. I then understood that I created it, I saw it, and felt compelled to insert my version. Which by the way is very frustrating for her. After the quizzical look and starting over I did my best to follow along. A short time later she stated a word which I now do not remember at all, and it was as if everything shut down. I could see her talking, I could hear not words but noise (that is not meant to be in a mean way). But, I completely lost track. My mind went into outer space, starting with that “trigger word” and progressing to who knows where.



It took me a little while to come back, and when reality did set in, I had missed part of the conversation. In reality it was just a few seconds, but enough for her to say, Are you even listening to me?”



Well, yes and no. I heard up to the part…..and then….



I do not have to tell you that most people do not like to tell the same story twice, and some stories do not need to be told twice. While this was not one of those, I felt guilty for not being more focused on our conversation.



I do this it seems at random times and for no apparent reason. A word or phrase will hit me and off I go. It can be with anyone or on anything. Sometimes it hurts the situation or some ones feelings, sometimes it helps. I see a different world, which is fine. Recognizing it may benefit both parties. I had never put it together before.

0 comments:

Contact Me


If you are interested in contributing to this blog, have comments or questions email me: andergraph@gmail.com


Translate